Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mesquite Bean Extract and what you can do with it

Mesquite trees grow all over the southwest. They make long light yellow bean pods. It is the pod that is used for food.
I throw as many beans (whole) as I can into a pretty vodka, rum or whiskey bottle. Then I fill it with vodka. Let it sit without touching it for at least 3 months. It turns golden. I just leave the beans in it as I use it. This is an extract like vanilla and can be used all the same ways. I love to make cool drinks in the summer by using this with fruit juice (like apple or pear) and ice and make it a smoothie with ice in your blender. Superb.
You can also use it in baking. Or behind your ears to smell delightful. I am going to use it as a base for fruit brandy this winter, where you just add canned fruit and sugar every couple of months.
During the winter, I boil the beans on the wood stove to make the whole house smell like apples and cinnamon. Then I use the broth in bread and cakes.
you can also grind the beans and sift out the seeds and use this with flour in baking (like corn meal)
Finally got the printer coordinated with the solar stuff so I can print things. The camera is next, I will add photos to some earlier posts.

No comments: