Thursday, August 17, 2017

A Little History about the last 5 years

  It's been five whole years since the last post.  So much has happened.  I needed a project to distract me after Stephen was gone and also wanted to be more self sufficient because I would now be out here all by myself.  I had a garden when we were raising goats and had fresh manure and hay leavings to make compost.  The goat pens are empty now but there was still quite a bit of manure left in all three big pens.  Plus Stephen was ornery about paying for spent tires when he changed tires out for flats (he always bought used tires because the canal road is so tough on them) so he had piled them on either side of the driveway, sometimes 4 or 5 tires high!  I did some research and decided to create a tire garden to grow food.  It was started by just stacking tires and filling them with dirt and goat manure.  The physical labor was good for my body and spirit.  It gave me something to do and the satisfaction of accomplishment.  I started it in the Fall of 2012.

No comments: